Saturday, October 29

Palatine Hill & The Colosseum


Hi Everyone! Unlike my previous posts, which focused on a particular city, I’ve decided today to write about a couple of famous and historical sites in Rome, Palatine Hill and the Colosseum. The Colosseum is one of the most impressive structures of ancient times, even though only 1/3 of the amphitheater remains. Ancient Rome was founded in what is now known as Palatine Hill.  The remains of the original city surround Palatine Hill, and are open to the public to observe.




Here is the view from the top of the hill. I wasn’t able to find enough information to write about each ruin, so I attached some photos below.

Arch of Constantine.






Palatine Hill was one of the most amazing places I visited in Rome. At first, it just looks like a bunch of broken down buildings, but if you imagine them thousands of years ago it is really interesting. If you get the chance to visit Rome, you have to visit Palatine Hill!


Now, for the part you’ve all been waiting for… the Colosseum! I was lucky enough to take a tour of the Colosseum, so let’s get into those photos.


When you begin your tour, you climb some stairs to get to the top level. Depending on the tour you take, you may also get an audio guide!


Over the years, many people stole and destroyed the Colosseum for materials. certain parts of the Colosseum have been rebuilt with other materials, as shown in the photo above.


The Colosseum also used to have hundreds of statues in each window. The statues were also stolen, but they would’ve probably be standing in the window above or ones below.


Here is a view of the entire colosseum. This alone is extremely impressive, but the original colosseum was a lot bigger.


I found this photo online of how the original Colosseum would've looked in Roman Times and I thought it was really interesting.


Back in Roman Times, this bottom area was used for the Colosseum’s actual shows. Gladiatorial shows were the main event for the Colosseum, but many other events were held here. 


As you can see, the bottom of the Colosseum is full of many passageways and tunnels. During a show, this part of the structure would be covered up, so it was used for storing props and animals for the ongoing shows.


This is the view from a part of the Colosseum.


That brings us to the end of my post today! This post was a bit different from my others, since I didn’t just focus on a city and I did change the way I edited my photos. Hopefully you still enjoyed it. Leave a comment on something you found most interesting in this post!

Thank you for reading.


-Hannah

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous29.10.16

    It's amazing that the Colosseum is almost 2,000 years old. I always imagine what it would be like to be there at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's really impressive that people back then were able to build something so huge.

      Delete
  2. I really loved how you added interesting information about the Colosseum! The pictures are also amazing! Great job! x Looking forward to reading your next posts!
    http://thedreamchaser13.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Rome! I've only been there once but I definitely want to go back!

    &thanks for visiting https://savethedayjk.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been there once as well, and I'd love to go back.

      No problem, I loved your blog!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful picture :)
    Rome is one of my favorite city in the world, it feels like a living museum !

    Kenza from http://travelwithkenza.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely agree, there is so much history there.

      Delete