Tuesday, September 13

Siena, Italy


 

Hello! This post will be about the city of Siena, in Tuscany, Italy. Il Campo is the piazza of the city, and it is known for its famous horse race, the Palio. The medieval city is full of beautiful buildings and unique shops, and it is one of the most underrated cities in Italy.





To get to Siena, we went on a bus tour. I did some research and I am pretty sure that this was our tour: Tuscany Day TripSiena is only about an hour drive from Florence, and two and a half hours from Rome, so it is not too hard to get too.


To get a feel for the city, we began our tour of Siena in the main square, also known as the Piazza del Campo.


Here is the Torre del Mangia, the tower in the main square. The tower is actually climbable, which reminded me of another place I visited, in Bruges. Sadly, we didn’t have enough time to climb it, but if you are in Siena for a bit longer I’m sure it would be worth the workout.


Usually during the games, people crowd towards the middle of the square to watch, but the seats are for the lucky ones!


Here’s another photo of some of the seats for the horse race.


After exploring the square, we stopped for a treat — gelato! As you can tell, there are a lot of flavors to choose from.


I don’t know the name of this building, but I thought that it was too pretty not to include in this post.


Here is the Sancti Martini. Again, I wasn’t able to find much information about it online, but I wanted to include the photo since it was really cool.


I think that this photo describes Siena really well. There are so many amazing buildings that you can come across just by taking a walk around the city!


Here’s the Torre del Mangia poking out from behind some buildings. If you’re ever lost in Siena, just make your way back to the tower and you’ll be able to find your way home!


Here’s a photo of a pretty mosaic ceiling we came across. I love how so many of the buildings in Europe have lots of small details.

Somewhere that I didn’t get to visit but I would’ve loved too is the Siena Cathedral. One of the buildings close to the church, the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, is a another great place to find amazing views of Siena. 

Thank you so much for reading my post today. I’m really sorry that I haven’t been posting regularly, but I have had to focus more on school and some of my other hobbies lately. I hope you enjoyed this post about Siena.

Thank you for reading.

-Hannah

Links: Instagram | Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Hannah - what a great blog post! I've been to Siena (years ago) and think you have done a really good job capturing the beauty and charm of the little walled city. Look forward to reading more posts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed this post!

      Delete
  2. EyeSee16.9.16

    Siena looks like a beautiful city. Did you go to other cities in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I did get to visit some other cities in Italy, and I am planning on posting about them sometime in the future.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous17.9.16

    Beautiful photos of Siena. I especially love the one of the Piazza. I can only imagine how exciting a scene to be in the middle of the horse races! And the gelato made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete